Show: Mama’s Family
Title: Obscene Call
Original Air Date: November 10, 1983
Click either link to get a copy.
iTunes not available at this time
* Mama: You trust a total stranger and you won’t even tell your mother in law the price of the toilet paper.
* Mama: May I suggest you start getting friendly with my groceries.
* Naomi: Would it kill you to show me a little kindness one time?
Mama: Missy, you used up your one time they day I let you in the door.
* Vint: An obscene phone call. How do you know?
Naomi: Trust me.
* Mama: I don’t allow no weirdos on the phone unless its family.
* Mama: We’re not gonna let some pervert cut us off from the outside world.
* Naomi: Recognize his voice? I don’t even recognize half the words he uses.
* Mama: Good Lord, if that blouse was any lower it would be a skirt.
* Naomi: That’s just the way I move.
Mama: Well, its’ the way most people Rumba.
Synopsis: Naomi is checking groceries at the Food Circus. Mam is waiting in her line and getting annoyed. Naomi keeps helping everyone else except Mama. Back at the house, Fran is reading the paper. Vint and Naomi come in and announce Naomi won the friendliest checker award. The whole family celebrates. The phone starts ringing and finally Naomi answers it. However, the person on the other end says some very obscene things to her. She hangs up, but it rings again. Everyone keeps asking what the caller said. Naomi tells a clean version of it and everyone is horrified. The phone rings again and they all stare at it. Vint answers it but the person asks for Naomi and then he hands her the phone. It’s the obscene caller again. Mama decides that she’s gonna deal with the pervert herself. However, the next call that comes in is actually Naomi’s boss. After he calls the obscene caller is back. Mama calls the police and gets told to change her phone number. Mama turns on Naomi and blames the harassment on her. Fran gangs up on her too. Naomi turns to Vint for support, but he doesn’t provide any. Naomi blows up and stops talking to the whole family. The next day, Vint is sleeping on the couch. While she tries to cheer up Vint the phone rings. The caller asks for Naomi and when Thelma tells her she not there he gets obscene with Thelma, Fran and Vint. Now they have some sympathy for Naomi. Mama says they all need to apologize to Fran and they all head for the Food Circus. Naomi is not interested in talking to them. She freaks out on several customers. The three pick out an item each to buy. They attempt to apologize while making their purchases. She finally accepts their apologies. They all head back home and the phone is ringing as they enter. Thelma answers it and gives him a taste of his own medicine.
Filed under: Blog Archive, Mama's Family | Tagged: Dorothy Lyman, Fran Crowley, Ken Berry, Mama's Family, Naomi Harper, Rue McClanahan, S02, Thelma Harper, Vicki Lawrence, Vinton Harper | Leave a comment »