Show: Mama’s Family
Title: Gert Rides Again
Original Air Date: December 1, 1983
Click either link to get a copy.
iTunes not available at this time
* Mama: Well hurry it up. King Tut didn’t have that much wrapping on him.
* Mama: When you get old and do the same things as when you were young people think you’ve gone bonkers.
* Mama: If wrapping one present gets you this turned on Christmas around here should be a real barn burner.
* Mama: If she was any calmer she’d be a doily.
* Mama: Gertie how can you be old when you’re still getting offers like that?
* Mama: You are as young as you feel and right now I feel like a beer.
* Mama: Why do you talk like that? This isn’t Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood.
* Vint: Hey Skeeter, why don’t we play post office anymore?
Mama: You two have graduated to Federal Express.
Synopsis: Vint and Noami are necking on the couch. Mama comes out disgusted. Fran comes running down the stairs with a gift too. They all talk about Aunt Gert. The gifts are all for her birthday. Mama tells a story from when she and Gert were younger. Mama leaves and the two start necking again. When Mama arrives to visit Gert she is shocked. She doesn’t want to open her present because she is bored to death. The nurse comes in and annoys Thelma. The nurse tells Thelma about the birthday party. One of the male residents pops in and proposes some hanky panky with Gert. Back at the house, Mama is sad at Gert’s state. Fran, Vint and Naomi try to comfort her. Thelma goes to visit her again on her birthday and she still hasn’t opened her gift. Thelma tries to kick her into gear. She brushes her hair and makes her get dressed. She finally gets Gert to act like herself again. Downstairs at the party, everyone is getting restless. Gert and Thelma arrive at the party. Out comes the cake and everyone sings Happy Birthday. Next they have to play musical chairs. Thelma gets annoyed by the nurse again and goes after her. Thelma gets someone to play the piano and starts a Conga line. At Mama’s house, the doorbell is ringing. She opens it and finds Gert at the door. She tells them they partied all night long. Fran comes down and is shocked to see Gert. Vint and Naomi come in too. Gert tells them all about the party. Gert announces that she and Alvin are looking for an apartment.