Show: Family Matters
Title: The Candidate
Original Air Date: March 23, 1990
Click on either link to get a copy.
* Harriet: Rachel, you’re not going to go off the deep end with this ecology thing, are you?
* Laura: Since when you do spell Eddie with one d?
* Laura: Well unless we find a picture of Margie on a yacht with Gary Hart, we’re dead meat.
* Urkel: She’s a real nerd.
Laura: You’re calling her a nerd?
* Harriet: Rachel, this place looks like a recycling center.
Rachel: It is a recycling center.
* Rachel: I’m sorry I jumped off the deep end, again.
* Carl: How did your parents ever survive her wonder years?
* Eddie: Margie will make a much better president than me.
Laura: Oh yeah, absolutely.
Synopsis: Steve is posing as a Greek God for Eddie. Laura comes down and is grossed out. After school Eddie and Rodney come home to announce that Eddie is going to run for student council. Rachel tells Eddie that women are attracted to men in power, so this seals the deal. Later that night, Rachel comes in the kitchen with empty soda cans. She then flips out when Carl tries to put whipped cream on his pie. It’s another day, and Rodney and Eddie are working on campaign slogans. Laura helps out. Eddie makes her his campaign manager. In the kitchen, Rachel has a bunch of garbage cans for recycling in the kitchen. Harriet is not amused. That night, Laura brings Eddie in and he’s in a suit and practicing for his campaign. Rodney bursts in and tells them that he arranged a debate for Eddie. Laura tries to choke him but Eddie stops him. Steve comes over. She tries to kick him out but he stays. He hums loudly. Eddie mentions the campaign. Steve tells them that he knows her. It’s time for the debate and Laura tries to prep Eddie. Rodney has prepared some of the students to sabotage Margie. The debate begins and Eddie tries to get on the moderator’s good side. Back at the house, Harriet and Carl enter the kitchen to find it a disaster. Rachel has turned it into a recycling center. They have an emotionally charged discussion about recycling. Rachel apologizes and promises to clean it up. Back at the debate, Margie is being sandbagged. However, Eddie gets upset and stops them. He withdraws from the race. Eddie arrives home to find Laura ticked off. He wanted to win honestly not because of dirty tricks. She admits that winning went to her head.