Show: Mama’s Family
Title: Super Market
Original Air Date: February 4, 1984
Click either link to get a copy.
iTunes not available at this time
* Mama: If you don’t get a move on the date on my milk’s gonna expire.
* Mr. Palmer: Got any questions? Ask Thelma.
Thelma: It’s nice to be appreciated.
* Naomi: Well, all right, so I made a mistake. What are you going to do, shoot me?
* Thelma: Well, good Lord what is this? The Evelyn Woods School of speed checking?
* Naomi: You gotta speed this up, get a little rhythm going.
Thelma: I wish your mother had practiced a little rhythm.
* Naomi: I’d like to teach you a thing or two you job snatcher.
* Vint: I just want you to screw up so Noami won’t look so bad.
* Thelma: You get it straight, Thelma Harper takes a dive for nobody.
* Thelma: For somebody who’s allergic to bagging you sure are in an all fired hurry to jump in the sack.
Synopsis: Mama is in line at Food Circus, but she loses her cool with Naomi and a customer sing a jingle for a product. Thelma makes a bit of a scene. The manager comes and takes over. She gives him some tips on the store. He asks her for advice, she obliges, and he gives her the groceries for free. Back at the house, Vint is eating string cheese. Naomi comes home upset. Thelma comes home and finds Vint and Naomi in her kitchen being unspeakable. Thelma tells them she has a new job, customer consultant. On her first day, she gives out a lot of advice and gets praise from Mr. Palmer. Naomi and Thelma get in a fight. It backfires on Naomi when she is asked to teach Thelma how to be a checker. The first training session is a little rocky. At the house, the kids had to cook. A fight breaks out between Naomi and Thelma. Then Vint and Thelma get in a fight. At work the next day, Thelma is setting up to check on the express lane. Her checking starts off well, but between “ask Thelma” interruptions and going through the specials list, her line backs up. Then her register explodes. It’s all too much for Thelma who quits on the spot. She makes dinner that night and gets lots of compliments. She apologizes to Naomi.