Show: Mama’s Family
Title: Amateur Night
Original Air Date: December 8, 1983
Click either link to get a copy.
iTunes not available at this time
* Mama: I don’t know why I let you talk me into this place. This is where flies come to die.
* Mama: Vint will you eat that chili before something obscene happens?
* Mama: Will you take that squeezebox and scram?
* Fran: Naomi I fear you may have created a monster.
Mama: Which makes you the bride of Frankenstein.
* Vint: Can you dig it?
Mama: I’d like to bury it.
* Naomi: Vinny Vegas? Does that mean I’m Naomi Vegas?
* Fran: If he wants to make a fool of himself that’s his privilege and birthright as a Harper.
* Mama: You’re asking for a second rope and you’re gonna hang yourself.
Synopsis: The family is at the Bigger Jigger to cheer Vint up. He didn’t get a promotion at Quick Keys. The Jigger is having a talent competition that night. The winner gets $100. Naomi wants him to enter with his Fred Astaire impersonation. The competition starts with a guy who makes faces. As others go up and perform, Vint starts to get nervous. Fran starts getting worried too. Naomi has to give him a giant pep talk to get him to go on. He puts on a spectacular show. He wins the competition. At the house Fran is practicing for their next performance. Vint comes home in a very flashy outfit. He’s changed up his whole act. He insults and upsets Fran. He gets a big head and makes everyone, including Naomi, mad. They all decide to not go but when they start to worry he’ll fail they race to rescue him. Mama tries to talk him out of humiliating himself. She corners him in the men’s room. Naomi and Fran follow them in. Mama tells Vint a story from her childhood. They have a moment but when they try to leave one of the men pulls off the door knob, trapping them. Everyone, finally gets home. Naomi and Vint head to their basement. Fran and Thelma sit on the couch. Fran wants to know what the men’s room was really like.