Show: Family Matters
Title: Baker’s Dozen
Original Air Date: January 11, 1990
Click on either link to get a copy.
* Laura: Urkel, don’t you ever knock?
Steve: No, I don’t like to disturb anyone.
* Harriet: Carl, you don’t cook you burn. You burn eggs, you burn toast. You’re the only man I know who burns jello.
* Harriet: You and Carl in my kitchen cooking? I don’t think so.
* Carl: 12,000 tarts in two days??
* Harriet: Oh it’s full all right, it’s got 12,000 tarts in it.
* Harriet: A few odds and ends?
Rachel: Just the bare necessities.
* Harriet: Rachel, have you lost your mind?
* Harriet: Now I know how the pastry chef felt on the Titanic.
* Judy: Mom I hate tarts.
Harriet: We all do honey.
* Carl: Ask your Aunt Rachel, she’s the head tart.
* Carl: I’m not going to regret this, I’m going to love it.
* Harriet: Look at you people. Look at my kitchen. Have you all lost your minds?
Synopsis: The kids head to the mall as Steve arrives. But since he wants to come they change their plans. They trick him into hide and seek and sneak out. Steve is now looking for them, but he walks in on Rachel in the shower. Later, dinner has ended and the kids try to run off without doing the dishes. Carl announces he made desert, lemon cream tarts. Everyone is afraid to eat the tarts. They get brave and try the tarts, they love them. Rachel asks Carl if he can make a batch for her writer’s workshop. The next day Carl comes home from work. Rachel comes running in. One of the people in her group wants to buy Carl’s tarts. The batch is a big hit according to Rachel. Harriet is skeptical. They want 12,000 tarts by Monday. Rachel has also brought a massive amount of baking supplies. Harriet tries to make them see reason, but her concern falls on deaf ears. While baking Steve comes over. He offers to help and Rachel asks if he has an oven. He agrees if he can have Laura’s hand in marriage. After upsetting Carl, Steve leaves. Laura and Judy start to fight. Judy gets to go to bed. Rachel and Carl get into a fight. It erupts into a food fight. Steve comes back over mid food fight and gets covered in tarts. Harriet returns and tries to stop the madness. The family wakes in the living room, they finished the tarts two hours earlier. Their profit is $24.00 total, not each. They all console each other. Laura does point out that they did meet their goal of cooking 12,000 tarts.