- 2 pounds freshly ground lamb
- 4 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 10 ounces frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Heat a large skillet over high heat. In two batches, cook lamb until no longer pink, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer lamb to a colander set in a bowl; let fat drain off and discard.
- Add 1/4 cup water to the skillet, scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to medium; add onion and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste. Add flour; cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, 2 cups water, and lamb. Season with 2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Stir in peas; cook 1 minute. Divide among eight 8-ounce ramekins or two 9-inch glass pie dishes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, cover potatoes with salted water by 1 inch; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until fork-tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain.
- In pan, bring milk and butter to a simmer; remove from heat. Return potatoes; mash. Season with 2 teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread over pies; use a fork to make peaks. Bake on a baking sheet until tops are browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool slightly; serve.
Original Recipe from: https://www.marthastewart.com/318244/shepherds-pies
Categories: Blog Archive, Recipes
Leave a Reply