Creamy Parmesan Potatoes Au Gratin
- 1 1/2 to 2 lb potatoes, russets, peeled and sliced thin (1/8 – inch)
- 1 1/2 c heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 to 2` tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp thyme, dried
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 c Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp additional butter
- additional Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter 9-inch pie dish well. I used a deep dish.
- Peel and slice potatoes; rinse with cold water. Cover potatoes with cold water while preparing other ingredients.
- Combine cream, butter, garlic, thyme and nutmeg in sauce pan. Bring to a simmer over a medium heat.
- Meanwhile layer potatoes in pie plate. With each layer, salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. I made 2 layers. When cream is hot (but not boiling) pour over the potatoes. Dab soft butter on top.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with additional Parmesan and put under broiler long enough to lightly brown.