Velvet Crumb Cake (Bisquick Recipe)
- 1 1⁄2 cups original Bisquick baking mix
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup wheat flakes cereal, crushed (the original calls for coconut, but I like the Wheaties better)
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts (optional(I do not use)
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 350°F Grease and flour 8 inch square or 9 inch round pan.
- Beat all ingredients in large bowl on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on medium speed 4 minutes,scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour into pan.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool slightly.
- Make crumb topping: Mix all together and spread over cake.
- Set oven to broil.
- Broil about 3 inches from heat about 3 minutes or until golden brown.