Tonight for dinner I made steak quesadillas. My Mother is a picky eater and I did not know whether or not she would like them. However, she loved them and actually had seconds. We both have acid reflux, as a result I have to make sure anything I cook/eat is not overly spicy.
- four burrito size flour tortillas
- 8 – 12 tablespoons of Tostitos mild chunky salsa (2-3 tablespoons per quesadilla)
- 8 tablespoons Kinders mild barbecue sauce, divided equally (or a hotter sauce if you prefer)
- 8 tablespoons shredded Mexican cheese mix (or a cheese of your choice)
- 16 ounces carne asada steak
- white pepper
- Chop the meat into 1 inch by 1/2 inch pieces and mix with salt and white pepper to taste. Thoroughly mix. Let stand for 10 minutes so the meat can absorb the seasonings. Cook on high heat in a large skillet just until all the meat is brown on the outside and you no longer see any red or pink color (2 – 3 minutes). Remove from heat. Tilt pan sideways and slide all the meat out of the grease, remove meat with tongs/spoon and place cooked meat in a bowl.
- On each tortilla spread the barbecue sauce evenly on one half. Be sure to leave a 3/4″ space between the filling and the tortilla edge.
- Spread the salsa over the sauce.
- Divide the meat into four portions and spread on each tortilla.
- Sprinkle the cheese on last.
- Fold each tortilla in half, make sure nothing falls out at the edges. Gently press down on the tortilla, this will help to even out the filling and keep the tortilla folded in half.
- I cook mine on a panini grill (grill plates, not the flat side) on medium for 2 – 2 1/2 minutes, one at a time. You could also use a George Foreman grill. If you don’t have those you can also use a grill pan or a skillet. For the grill pan or skillet cook for 2 – 2 1/2 minutes per side on medium-high heat.
- Once cooked let stand for about 2 minutes, then cut into four parts.
Calories per quesadilla are 538 if you use 8 tablespoons of salsa. If you use 12 tablespoons of salsa it’s 543 calories per quesadilla. Calorie count is accurate is recipe is followed.